Items shown on Village Hall Timeline 'Old Dalby through time'
Old Dalby Heritage Committee
Old Dalby Village Archive
This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Old Dalby Digital Archive
Timeline item 29: 1999 - The millennium is celebrated with a new village sign, a group village photo and a torch-lit procession up Dalby Hill to the beacon on 31 December
Timeline item 13: 1880 - Old Dalby station opens on the new Nottingham-London railway line
Timeline item 11: 1827 - The Rev. William Sawyer moves into the hall with his sister Louisa. He rebuilds the stone church after a fire and continues to improve the village, building the reading room, school and '5 row' cottages.
Timeline item 25: 1971 - Lord Crawshaw, Chief Scout, opens the Scout Hut following a huge fundraising campaign by local residents
Timeline item 27: 1986 - The village fete evolves into Old Dalby Day, which in subsequent decades raises over £200,000 for local causes
Timeline item 18: c1935 - Thomas Henry Fisher, the illustrator of Richmal Crompton's Just William stories, settles in the village
Timeline item 30: 2005 - The church restoration is completed after locals raise a staggering £330,000! A calendar is one of the many fundraising ventures
Timeline item 06: 1590 - Cottages are built on a new village site. Those that become the Crown Inn are today the oldest structures in Old Dalby
Timeline item 08: 1763 - Frances Bowater inherits the estate from her father, Lord Faversham. She establishes a charity to supply stockings to poorer village women.
Timeline item 23: 1968 - Old Dalby station closes to passengers. Croft Gardens and Hawthorn Close are built, bringing new young families into the village